Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Caffeinated Reactions (Part 2)

Part 1 is here. This second part is shorter, and thanks for the dig. To continue our caffeinated gabfest where we left off, here's the rest of the thread.

Bright Young Woman hey comparing Nick Joaquin to Jose Rizal is like comparing Vincent van Gogh to Pablo Picasso... They belong to different eras. You can't tell which one is best than the other because they are not on the same plane. Different sensibilities. Different literary movement.

Wordslinger Get your point. And my apology for sounding like oversimplifying it. Of course, they are from different eras and addressing different need, but what remains are their respective works. I based my opinion on their works. I remember reading El Fili in college and said to myself, hey, self, is Rizal writing Count of Cristo? I'd read Count some days prior. From chapter 1 to 7 I think, Rizal followed the blueprint, in a subtle way yet still recognizable, the movement of his story after the Count. I learned later that one of Rizal's strongest influences was Alexander Dumas, which he acknowledged. The influence id apparent in his two books, El Fili most specially. If we based our judgment of who wins at the top, based on the impact of their works, it's unanimous, Rizal wins for his two colossal books coming out at the right time when people most needed it. (When I said people, I mean those people who could afford to have an education during that time.) But if we based it on who has the greater talent of weaving a beautiful story, I give the spot to Nick Joaquin. But again, it's only an opinion.

VBYW true we have opinions but there is a fine line between literary criticism (which in this sense should have been under the reader response theory), and being too egoistic in making an opinion about a book. I do appreciate your new blogsite but please, make it more meaty next time when you review a book. =)

Another Bright Young Woman interesting exchange. its always good to know that people are reading literature. but...i am curious. may i ask:

1. from what lens was the book viewed?

2. i'm not entirely sure what made you conclude that the book is terrible. because the "fragmented" storytelling and the corny jokes turned your stomach?

3. from the above comment, i'm interested on who you think are the masters in story-telling. and how you knew after reading syjuco that he is not a "master storyteller"?

nindot nga naay ingon ani nga discussions among the younger generation. a refreshing break from the video games and no-brainer movies. thanks!

Wordslinger @BYW I agree. It’s "unmeaty", "egoistic", it’s even crap. When I wrote it, I wasn’t conscious, or care, if I sound egoistic or my review will come out not meaty enough. But I do recall feeling upset when I wrote it, which is a mistake, I should not write when upset.

@ABYW hi there! there's not much really. I just read a book, record my impressions. That's there is to it. If it came out that way, which is bad, it's only me to blame. But I'll try to be better when I do it again next time. That's what writing is all about, right? Just trying to be better next time.

BYW question: were you drunk? if you were, were you drunk enough?...hahaha...always always be like Nick Joaquin and Baudelaire. Just be drunk. ;)

Baltus Maximus (a classmate in college) Prenz you ought to edit your review. for a hasslefree and carefree one, just try to copy and paste the wonderful dialogue between you and byw here. you still get to play the devil on pens struggling to get out the mess in your pursuit for a health drink. and gen pokes you all the time to remind you that brandy is never a healthy drink if wanted in excess or not. though on a personal note, i recommend occasional dosage of its droplets matter in keeping the music playing and our hearts beating...right prenz, screw syjuco. but sorry prenz but i have the urge to ask this to byw. bodyshots? wahahha...

No comments:

Post a Comment